Saturday 21 July 2018

Heart Berries: A Memoir by Terese Marie Mailhot





Indian girls can be forgotten so well they forget themselves.



Sometimes grief is a nothing feeling.



In white culture, forgiveness is synonymous with letting go.  In my culture, I believe we carry pain until we can reconcile with it through ceremony.  Pain is not framed like a problem with a solution. 




I wasn't made to be ornamental, but it's what I wanted.  I inherited black eyes and a grand, regal grief that your white women won't own or carry.




Nobody wants to know why Indian women leave or where they go. Our bodies walk across the highway from the dances of our youth into missing narratives without strobe lights or sweet drinks in our small purses, or the talk of leaving.  The truth of our leaving or coming into the world is never told.




Thunder is contrary.  Thunder can intuit, and her action is the music caused by lightning.  She comes because we ask, and that's why falling apart is holy.