Tuesday 18 June 2019

The Bright Hour: A Memoir of Living and Dying by Nina Riggs






The weekend air is medicine.



I feel like I've been granted access the mecca of unexpected intimacy.



Cancer removes whatever weird barriers we sometimes have with others.  A mastectomy of bullshit, my mother suggests. 



When it comes to illness, dying, death -- those darknesses -- it seems we are still so very much Plymouth Pilgrims -- all fear and fretting and fortifications, and a strong sense of our own alienness in a hostile land.  We don't begin to know what to do with ourselves.  We cross our arms over our chests and try to look on the bright side as we starve.



Try to see without understanding.



Waldeinsamkeit is the untranslatable German word for the feeling of divine solitude and contemplation in the woods.



Dying provokes nearsightedness in the caregiver.



One big upside of being told I have incurable cancer is that after all these years, my husband has finally stopped smugly saying, "It's your funeral", when I make a decision  he doesn’t agree with.



Buying a sofa online, like many of life's biggest decisions, takes research and trust, but mostly trust.