Saturday 30 December 2017

The Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson


All quotes from Cheryl's book


When you catch yourself saying things such as “I never have time to do what I want to do”, what you’re really saying is “I don’t take time for my needs”. 




When you insist “I always end up doing everything myself”, the truth of what you’re really saying is “I don’t ask for help”.




When you hear yourself complaining “no one appreciates the things I do”, what you most likely mean is “I take on way too much, hoping that someone will notice and tell me how good I am or how grateful they are”.




There is nothing wrong with standing in someone’s shadow.  It can be a great way to learn.




When you put relationships before results, live with integrity, and care about how our actions affect the greater community, you too add spiritual value to the world.




When you realize that you are in charge of your life and your time is limited, your choices become more important. 




A high-quality life starts with a high-quality you!




If you want to live an authentic meaningful life, you need to master the art of disappointing and upsetting others, hurting feelings, and living with the reality that some people just won’t like you.




When hit with an unexpected life challenge, most of us revert back to the old coping strategies that kept us safe as kids.  For example, you may have taken refuge in your bedroom to avoid dealing with parents who always fought.  As an adult, when faced with a chaotic situation such as losing a job or dealing with challenges in your own marriage, you now find yourself isolating from others as a way to escape the stress.  You don’t ask for help.  You don’t reach out for emotional support.  And you don’t admit to yourself or others the way you really feel.  Instead, you suffer in silence.




Extreme self-care challenge:  discovering where you feel deprived.